Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Life with Twins: The beginning

**I'm so excited to announce that I've started a youtube channel discussing everything home making. My channel name is Surviving As Mom.  Check it out!! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmrj6ilyMI5G2hnraXRWpEQ

My twin boys were born in March, 2009 with a very rough start.  After almost a month of strict hospital bed rest, they came exactly three months early.  They were born via c-section at 26 weeks, 6 days.  Baby A weighed 2 lbs, 5 ozs and Baby B weighed 1 lb, 15 ozs.  They spent 77 days in the NICU.   They went through various treatments, medications, blood transfusions, and surgeries while on different levels of life support (breathing tubes).  It was painful for them and us as parents.

There were many ups and downs along the way.  One day we'd make progress, then the next day, we'd take 2 steps back.  The whole experience was a major emotional roller coaster.  It was one of the hardest experiences I've ever been through.  I'm pretty sure my husband and I both have PTSD from the experience.  

Fast forward 4 years later and I have 2 smart, funny, beautiful, loving, healthy, AMAZING boys that I can't imagine living without.  Looking at them now, you'd never realize they started out the way they did.  There are a few minor residual affects that they deal with.  They both wear glasses, but for different reasons.  Logan (Twin A) has a lazy eye which will hopefully resolve itself with the use of glasses.  If not, then he'll have to have surgery.  Lucas (twin B) is nearsighted and will be receiving speech therapy.  They both will probably receive occupational therapy, but for minor issues with writing and posture.  As babies, they received physical therapy and OT to help catch them up to their age since they were 3 months behind.  

Life with twins is definitely a challenge, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I don't remember much of the first 2 years, as it was mostly a blur.  Lots of work, lack of sleep, lots of destruction and noise.  It's calmed down a bunch, though there are new challenges as preschoolers.  Sometimes I feel like I'm just trying to survive and keep everyone alive :-)

I also have a 13 month old boy to add to the chaos, so I'm pretty busy.  

I will try to post tips and advice on raising twins, and multiple children in general.  If you have any specific requests or questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks!

Logan 4 days old
Lucas 4 days old



No comments:

Post a Comment